UIIA Insurance Requirements
Requirements for Completing & Providing Required Insurance Information for the UIIA.
EFFECTIVE AUGUST 1, 2012 ONLY THE ACORD 22 CERTIFICE OF INSURANCE FORM WILL BE ACCEPTED FROM AGENTS SUBMITTING PAPER CERTIFICATES.
In order to assist you with preparing the necessary insurance information for your insured to participate in the Uniform Intermodal Interchange and Facilities Access Agreement (UIIA), we have outlined the information that must be provided to our office on behalf of your insured (Click on the individual insurance policy type shown in bold to obtain further details regarding specific requirements for that type of insurance coverage):
- General Liability with a limit of $1 million per occurrence.
- Auto Liability with a CSL (combined single limit) of $1 million. Auto Policy must be marked as either an "ANY AUTO", "SCHEDULED AND HIRED" or "ALL OWNED AUTOS and HIRED" policy. We cannot accept just a "OWNED AUTOS ONLY" or "SCHEDULED ONLY" auto policy.
- Cargo Insurance with a limit per vehicle shown and deductibles if applicable.
- Trailer Interchange coverage with a limit per trailer shown and deductible if applicable. This is to cover physical damage to non-owned equipment while in the care, custody and control of your insured.
- Workers Compensation and Employers Liability (if applicable). If your insured is doing business with the railroads this coverage will need to be provided.
* NOTE: Limits for Cargo and Trailer Interchange will vary depending on the specific Equipment Providers that your insured is going to do business with. See (Form 5B) to see a list of Equipment Providers along with the limits of insurance they require.
2. The Truckers Uniform Intermodal Interchange Endorsement (UIIE-1, CA2317 or TE2317B) must be completed and made part of your insured s Auto Liability Policy. Any one of these endorsements is acceptable, but the most current version of the specific endorsement must be used. If using the UIIA Acord 22 certificate, you must check the box next to the language under the description of operations confirming endorsement is part of the auto policy. If not using the UIIA Acord 22 certificate, a copy of the actual completed endorsement can be provided or you can state on the certificate under the description of operations, that UIIE-1, CA23-17, or TE2317B is part of the Auto Liability policy.
3. The Equipment Providers that your insured is going to do business with will need to be named additional insured on the appropriate policies. Your insured should provide you with the Equipment Provider Checklist (Form 5C). On this list your insured should have checked off which providers they will be doing business with. An authorized representative of the insurance agency or company will need to sign the bottom of this Equipment Provider Checklist. This list will need to be attached to the certificate of insurance you provide our office. When utilizing the UIIA Acord 22 certificate, you will need to check the box next to the language pre-printed under the description of operations confirming the companies on the list are additional insured on the appropriate policies. Form 5C (Equipment Provider Checklist) must be submitted with the UIIA Acord 22 Certificate.
NOTE: Texas Insurance Agents — Please note that Form 5C (Equipment Provider Checklist) is not available for use in the state of Texas. Agents in Texas will need to submit the list of additional insureds via an alternative method (i.e. endorsement, listed on the ACORD 101 form, etc.). Form 5C will not be accepted from agents located in the state of Texas.
NOTE: You can refer to the second page of (Form 5A) for acceptable wording for blanket additional language that can be provided on the Acord 101 form or by endorsement.
4. If you provide an umbrella policy, you must make sure that you state on the certificate what coverage is covered under this umbrella policy (Example: auto, general and etc.).
If you provide an umbrella policy, you must make sure that you state on the certificate what coverage is covered under this umbrella policy (Example: auto, general and etc.).
5. The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) numbers need to be shown on the Acord certificate for all insurance companies providing coverage. These NAIC numbers can be obtained from the Best Key Rating Guide. The rating of the insurance company should be provided as well.
6. All applicable exclusionary endorsements that result in limiting or restricting the policies being provided should be included and/or noted when submitting the of insurance.
Only ONE certificate of insurance with the information listed above needs to be issued to the UIIA. The certificate will need to show the UIIA as the certificate holder at the following address: WE DO NOT NEED SEPARATE CERTIFICATES TO BE ISSUED FOR EACH EQUIPMENT PROVIDER THAT YOUR INSURED IS DOING BUSINESS WITH.
In addition, Section F.6 of the UIIA requires that a thirty (30) day notice of cancellation be given on all insurance policies provided under the UIIA, unless cancellation is a result of non-payment of premium in which case ten (10) notice is required.
Certificate Holder should be listed as:
Intermodal Association of North America or UIIA
11785 Beltsville Drive, Suite 1100
Calverton, Maryland 20705-4048
7. Please note that each time you provide insurance to the UIIA office on behalf of your insured, the Equipment Provider Checklist listing the companies that are additional insured and also confirmation of the UIIE-1 or CA23-17 endorsement will need to be provided. This applies even if the insurance policy numbers are the same as the previous certificate provided to our office. Failure to provide this information each time you submit insurance may impact your insured’s status with UIIA Equipment Providers with they do business.
TO SUBMIT INSURANCE ONLINE:
Insurance Agents are encouraged to go to Online Insurance Registration to register for the ability to submit insurance online. This will expedite the processing of the information you provide on behalf of your insured.
If you prefer, you can fax the above information to our office at (301) 982-3414 or (301) 982-5478. When our office receives the information above, you will be notified of any changes or modifications that need to be made.